Some evenings you just want to eat something a little fancy and different, and yesterday was one of those nights. Paella is a lovely treat meal, that James and I have every so often, mainly due to the cost as sadly this meal isn’t cheap containing many expensive ingredients such as mixed seafood, saffron and chicken.
This recipe is really simple though and I believe anyone should be able to cook and follow this recipe. You could always adapt the recipe using Quorn pieces instead of the chicken and omitting the seafood if you dislike shellfish. Equally, you could add chorizo to the dish instead of the seafood if you prefer.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 people
Calories 558 kcal
- 500g chicken breast or thigh fillet diced about 2cm piececs
- garlic frylight
- 350g chopped tomatoes
- 100g frozen petis pois
- 900ml chicken stock I used knorr chicken liquid stock and diluted with water
- 300g risotto rice
- 330g frozen seafood mix Could omit mix for pure frozen prawns if prefer
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5g saffron large pinch
- 1 tsp easy chillies optional if like hotter meal
- 0.5 g parsley large pinch
- Fry the chicken in a deep frying pan on a medium heat, in a little garlic oil. Keep stiring the chicken until cooked through and no pink remains. Roughly 8-10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked. Add the rice, stock, paprika, tomatoes, saffron and chillies. Simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the rice is tender with a little bite. This is on a medium-low heat, stir occasionally ensuring it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- After the 15 minutes there should be a little liquid remaining, add the frozen seafood and petis pois. Cook for a further 6 minutes or as per package instructions if they say longer. The prawns should turn pink when ready and the meal should be piping hot.
4. Separate into 4 portions and serve, garnish with a pinch of parsley.