This is another one of my favourite Chinese dishes, I used to order it every time we had a Chinese takeaway, well that was up until 2012 when I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance and thereafter could no longer eat them.
A year ago I discovered free from battered chicken balls in Tesco, which was incredible but sadly for the last 3-4 months I haven’t found them in the supermarkets again.
With Chinese New Year around the corner, I thought I would have a go at making my own balls, I used a simple recipe and battered tiger prawns. It was really yummy so I hope you enjoy it too.
Please be aware that fatty foods can also be a trigger of IBS, independent to FODMAPs so be careful with your portion sizes. These should only be enjoyed as a one-off treat.
CHINESE BATTERED BALLS
Course Chinese, Dinner, Snack Cuisine Dairy free, Gluten free, Low FODMAP Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 5 minutes Total Time 10 minutes Servings 12 (3 pieces between 4) Calories 140 kcal
- 100 g gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp cold water
- 12 pieces tiger prawn tails/bitesize chicken pieces
- vegetable oil if using a wok or a deep fryer enough for deep frying
- Mix the flour, baking powder and cold water together until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or turn on a deep fat fryer.
- Coat the individual prawn/chicken pieces in the batter
- And deep fry until golden brown in colour around 4-6 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and piping hot.