It wouldn’t be Valentine’s without a little chocolate and strawberry indulgence.
These brownies are the perfect treat, as not only are they delicious, they are also low calorie, refined sugar-free and vegan-friendly! What’s even better though is that you can’t tell!
This recipe is adapted from my raspberry ripple brownies from my daily healing e-book. I thought long and hard about what dessert to make as part of my 3 course Valentine’s meal for my partner and me, all I knew was that it would contain chocolate and strawberries! I had three ideas 1) my chocolate and strawberry cheesecake , 2) make your own chocolate dipped strawberries with healthy toppings and 3) chocolate brownies.
As we were having “cheese” in the nacho starter, I settled for the chocolate brownies after thinking the chocolate dipped strawberries were a little bit of a cop-out, not involving much effort.
It was my first ever attempt at using stevia in baking and I honestly couldn’t believe that they turned out so well the first time! After reading all of the stevia reviews, I chose the Canderel Sweetness from a Leaf granules, which at the time also happened to be on offer at Tesco.
The sweetener contains just 3 ingredients Maltodextrin, steviol glycosides and flavourings. Please be aware that some stevia brands also contain hidden FODMAP polyols in the form of added artificial sweeteners namely mannitol and sorbitol that sneak in.
Please stick to stated portion sizes, as in larger quantities these brownies will push into high FODMAP, 1/16th is the suggested portion size for this recipe.
Ready, steady, bake!
STRAWBERRY & DARK CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
Course Dessert Cuisine Egg free, Gluten free, Low FODMAP, Nut free, Sugar free, Vegan Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 25 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Calories 161 kcal
- 150 g dark chocolate sugar free and dairy free
- 170 g gluten free self raising flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 15 g Canderel Sweetness from a Leaf or equivalent stevia to match 180g volume of golden castor sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tbsp coconut/sunflower oil
- 230 ml dairy free milk I used almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or the seeds from a vanilla pod
- 150 g strawberries/raspberries
- 30 g dark chocolate chips / pieces sugar and dairy free variety or 30g of roughly chopped sugar free dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and flour a square brownie tin.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder. Add the stevia and pinch of salt, combine.
- Add the oil, milk, vanilla and melted chocolate. Stir well to combine and ensure mixed well.
- Stir through half the chocolate chips/dark chocolate pieces and 3 to 4 strawberries or half the raspberries.
- Pour the mix into the brownie tin and top with the leftover strawberry slices or remaining raspberries and chocolate chips/dark chocolate pieces. It is really effective to reserve 16 slices/raspberries and put a slice/berry on each piece so that everyone will get a slice of strawberry or berry on their brownie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely or enjoy warm after 10 minutes of cooling.
- Consume within 2-3 days.