Banana bread is a great healthy snack, that helps to keep you full between meals.
I love this around 3 pm when I am usually having an energy low, it perks me up again and allows me to continue working with more focus. It also makes a great grab and goes breakfast if you bake ahead.
You could easily bake this in the evening and then have it the following morning for breakfast, the preparation is super easy and relatively quick around ten minutes.
I always make a banana loaf for regattas as it is a fantastic source of energy half hour before a race, I keep the recipe exactly the same and simply omit the chocolate for a purer form of energy.
I have now adapted my classic recipe to contain fewer calories and no refined sugar, replacing the sugar with the sweetener stevia. Enjoy!
Cuisine Dairy free,
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 14 slices
Calories 2293 kcal
- 2 large eggs 3 small/medium
- 10 g stevia I used Sweetness from a Leaf (Canderel brand)
- 100 g ground almonds
- 50 g golden milled linseeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 pinch salt
- 75 g dairy free butter melted, I used pure sunflower dairy free butter
- 300 g bananas 2-3
- 40 g dark chocolate 75%+ cocoa, no added sugar or milk
- 15 g mixed seeds
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan assisted
- In a large mixing bowl add the top 10 ingredients and hand whisk until smooth and combined,
- Break the banana and chocolate into small chunks and add to the mixture along with the seeds, stir through with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Pour into a non-stick loaf tin (if using a normal loaf tin you will need to grease and flour before this step using a small amount of butter on some greaseproof paper smear onto the tin and then lightly flour).
- Slice the 1 remaining banana and decorate the top of the loaf. Drizzle with the maple syrup.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, open the oven door and leave the loaf to cool.
- Once completely cooled, loosen the cake with a pallet knife and turn out carefully onto a plate or chopping board. Then again to face the loaf up the correct way.
- Slice into 14 servings.