This tomato and egg bake makes a great filling weekend brunch. Succulent, sweet and tangy tomato sauce with a dunky egg yolk, just what you need as a treat this weekend.
This recipe takes a bit of time hence it is more suited to a weekend breakfast or when you have more time to prepare your breakfast. I have also used this recipe as a light lunch/dinner paired with a side of spinach and lean meat.
If you are vegetarian this is a great veggie breakfast or to make it go that little further for lunch serve it with some veggie bacon instead of normal bacon and/or veggie sausages!
Cuisine Dairy free,
Prep Time 6 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 36 minutes
Servings 4 people
Calories 271 kcal
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- 150 g sweet potato
- 1 tbsp garlic oil
- 360 g chopped tomatoes no more than 90g per serve
- 4-8 eggs 1 or 2 per person
- 1 handful fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 4 rashers of bacon optional, omit if vegetarian
- 3-4 slices of gluten free toast optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan assisted.
- Grill the bacon until cooked (roughly 3-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prick the sweet potato and microwave for 3-5 minutes, or until partially cooked.
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes, season and fry on a medium heat in the garlic oil, add the asafoetida and cooked bacon. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Pour into a casserole dish, make 4-8 wells to crack the eggs into.
- Top with fresh parsley. Season.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the egg white is set and the yolk is still runny.
- Serve with a slice of toast (if using).